Tuesday 28 September 2010

Butterfly Weekend

Monday has been dark and dismal but we've had a beautiful weekend here in Wales. Perfect weather for the late broods of butterflies which arrived in time for the flowering of my Michaelmas Daisies. There were lots and lots taking advantage of the sunshine yesterday - if you look carefully there are at least 8 Small Tortoiseshell butterflies in this photo - not to mention the bees! I also snapped Red Admirals, Commas and Peacocks but unusually the Painted Ladies were not in evidence so perhaps I'm too late and they have already started their emigration back to Africa - can you believe such a tiny fragile creature can travel over 5000 miles!




















I had a birthday a few weeks ago and was delighted with the "bee box" my sister bought me - I've wanted one for ages. I've hung it in the shelter of the clematis that grows over an old tree near my tiny greenhouse. I hope it will soon be providing a snug home for the little creatures looking for somewhere to hibernate this winter. Its really pretty too!

9 comments:

  1. WOW! Beautiful flower & butterfly garden Ann! Thanks for sharing these gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Ann wonderful butterflies.

    Greetings from Germany
    Anke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh Ann, these pics is beautiful - I didn' know that th butterflys travel sooo much, that is amazing!! Great pics, I could look at them again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when you share pictures of your garden and all the visitors that stop by. Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what beautiful photographs. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW - Ann! These photos are lovely!!! I love butterflies so very much. :) Thanks for sharing! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fantastic pictures Ann, you could almost think that we were in mid summer. But autumn is here and it is such a beautiful time of year. I look forward to seeing more pictures of your garden when the colours change.
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here goes..... Glad you like the beehouse and it looks lovely in the tree. Hope all is well with you and looking forward to our trip in November.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment - its hugely appreciated. Ann :o)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails