Sunday 2 September 2012

Vintage Motifs


I've been trying some of the crochet motif patterns in my old needlework books and magazines and up to now this pattern has become my favourite.  I decided to use these three experiments to decorate simple linen sachets that can be used as pincushions or just to scent a drawer as I've added a handful of dried lavender to the acrylic stuffing.  The plain linen is backed with some lovely spotty linen I had in my stash and the covered buttons are really Amy Butler brads I bought ages ago.  I never did find a suitable papercrafting project to use them on but they were just too pretty to resist!

You might like to try the pattern yourself so I've scanned the book pages.  Right click on the photo and open in a new tab to enlarge the image then you can save it to your computer or print it out.


Of course crochet mats for your dressing table are right out of fashion nowadays - the book dates from the 1940s.  But its nice to give old patterns a new lease of life. And I've added the pincushions to my Folksy shop if you'd like a closer look.

3 comments:

  1. A lovely modern twist on the crochet mats! You really are an accomplished crafter. I have never seen spotty linen before - it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely little sachets! I once did something like those motifs on a ring to hang in a window like a snowflake. Sorry to say I have a crochet mat on the chest of drawers in my guest room - better dash in as soon as my sister-in-law has gone and take it off hadn't I?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the patter, I am really a crochet addict these days.
    Baukje
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment - its hugely appreciated. Ann :o)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails