Tuesday 24 April 2012

A Day in April



I've always been an admirer of 1930s style - you know, Art Deco and all that.  And after gathering a large collection of 1940s and 50s craft magazines over the years, I've recently discovered 1930 embroidery designs in the Art Deco style.  I loved this design as soon as I saw the cover the April 1936 Needlewoman magazine and wanted to get started on it immediately.

But to be honest I struggled to transfer the design as I could only think of scanning the working image and then using dressmakers carbon paper to trace it onto my fabric.  This didn't work too well and really I ended up copying the image freehand with just a few lines visible here and there for reference.  However I'm quite pleased with the end product - the first embroidered picture I've completed in a long long time.

My next project is to be the applique picture A Day in Autumn you can see in the photo.  Luckily the transfer is still in this magazine but I've also discovered iron on transfer pens - WHAT! I'd never even heard of them before!  I could only find a basic version in my local craft shop but I'm really excited by the prospect of being able to transfer any design I like onto fabric.

I'm spending much time at my Mum's house at the moment - away from my papercrafting supplies and laptop, so I've lots of time to get back into needlecrafts again.  I really need to practise my stitching as close inspection of my picture has revealed a lack of attention to detail!  Must try harder as my teacher used to write on my reports!

5 comments:

  1. Your freehand drawing is spot on. Don't be so hard on yourself. It is perfect just as it is. The fireplace surround in the magazine transported me straight back home to my childhood. Every home had one like that. Glad I'm not the only one to hoard old magazines. I have been good lately though snd thrown some out as the patterns are too dated to use. hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful Ann and certainly passes my inspection! I'm so pleased you've found a method to transfer, I wish you the time to then stitch them. I have so much stitching (and other things) I want the time to do.
    Linbyx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful hobby, Anne! I love seeing old embroidered pictures - you are making future vintage works of art! Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann your embroidery picture is beautiful! You did an excellent job on drawing this freehand. I use to embroider a long time ago also. Just might have to pull it out and do some come summer. Let us know how the transfer pens work. Never heard of them either! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really beautiful - you are so clever and such a marvellous craftswoman. I do envy you your magazine stash too!!!

    K xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment - its hugely appreciated. Ann :o)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails