Thursday, 4 April 2013
Unfortunately Easter was a bit of a non-event for me this year. Apart from working every day over the holiday, I managed to pick up a nasty stomach bug which kept me up all night, and then I fell over my feet at work resulting in large colourful and painful lumps in several places. Even sitting is uncomfortable and I'm walking like someone who has just celebrated their 100th birthday! However being less mobile has meant I did at last get down to putting together my lovely Sophie Tilley wooden doll kit (with rather too much help from Titch!).
I'm ashamed to say I've had the kit for almost 12 months but tell the truth I've been rather nervous of painting the face. Creating faces is one of those steps that can make or break a project but I gritted my teeth and just went for it. I'm fairly happy with the result. I painted my doll with acrylic paints and added her features with Sharpie pens. I then gave her bits and pieces a thin layer of beeswax polish before putting her together. The wax gives a nice smooth finish to painted wooden pieces and a bit of protection. I made a rough paper pattern and used a scrap of vintage Laura Ashley fabric for her dress - its not perfect but she is a rather folksy girl so I'm sure she doesn't mind.
Sophie is soon to add cloth dolls to her range so I'm looking forward to finding a comfortable friend for my wooden doll.