Sunday, 28 August 2016

Sewing and Gardening in August

Does anyone else get excited by a new teatowel design at our local B&M Bargains shop? No, I thought not! But I do have my reasons - they are perfect for upcycling into these......

..... my teatowel bunnies, teddies and pussy cats. The fabric is perfect for these little toys as its soft, cuddly and of course made to be washable. They come in sets of three - one plain (usually with a bit of embroidery, though this one has a little applied printed panel), one patterned in gingham or check, and one waffle weave. All tied up with a nice piece of cotton braid and a bonus of length of jumbo ric-rac.

I unpick everything including the seams and put them in the wash, where they shrink slightly and form a tighter weave. To be honest the waffle weave towel is not suitable for toys - I've tried and it unravels itself too much for sewing good seams in such small items, but I have used it as backing for projects such as mug rugs, coasters and placemats. It also makes a reasonable substitute wadding for a small quilted project. You could of course just use it as a teatowel - in that case don't unpick!!!

As well as toy making, August has been all about sewing illustration still. I'm absolutely loving it and some may say have become slightly obsessed! I'm continually thinking of new images (including stamped images) to sew. These above have Welsh names with the English translation. It all started with my discovery of Minki Kim's blog. And then her newly published book which I purchased on its day of publication and stitched that little sewing machine pincushion on the same day!

August 2016 has also been the month my long long neglected and overgrown garden has come back to life with the aid of a very handy handyman friend. Ok, I admit he did 99% of the hard work! The other 1% has been me doing a bit of planting and weeding and the garden reviving itself. For instance these beautiful feverfew plants have grown completely by themselves from seeds lying dormant in the soil for years. Isn't nature miraculous!


  1. Lover feverfew, I love any sort of Daisy type plant

    Love what you do with the tea towels

    Julie xxxxxxxx

  2. Drat! This comment got lost as I was typing it! Love the tea towel idea. I blogged about it last year when I made a make up bag using bought tea towels. They can be cheaper than buying fabric and have washing instructions included! Your sewing illustrations are superb and you have become very proficient at it! The basket of toys looks great and you may have given me an idea for my upcoming craft fair. Do you have any suggestions of what I could make to sell? x


Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment - its hugely appreciated. Ann :o)


Related Posts with Thumbnails